If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build a casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos throughout the state, you almost certainly run into people you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation given by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating at the restaurants, and staying in the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capacity to run bingo games was one of the many concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that looked like a slot machine. We supply seen the tiny digital bingo card in the top corner from the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and so are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed inside a trust with the U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it turned out found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split using the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside with the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted opportinity for governments to boost funds. It is seen as source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes may also be influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called website an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles often, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling far better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling lights up the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, what can be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to handle?